Let us start with the sunny or the +ive side
- As a Software tester you have been testing Functional, Non-Functional and System Requirements of the software. You are also aware that an IT Business Analyst conducts and completes the Requirements process on the project. So you have good understanding about the importance of Requirements on IT Projects
- It is likely that you are working on projects which are in one industry. That means now you are aware of the business processes, rules, business logic and vocabulary for that domain. You need to be thorough in it.
- You may already be doing some business analysis activities and tasks in an informal manner.
- For sure you have seen your Business Analyst working on her job so you know what it takes. Now when you would like to switch your role to that of a Business Analyst you like that role, the rewards and challenges which come with it.
- Non familiarity with Business Analyst software like MS Visio, Balsamiq, MS Word, JIRA, Bizagi Business Process Modeller
- Not having a thorough understanding of frameworks like UML and BPMN
- Not possessing a good writing style which is expected from a Business Analyst to prepare documents like FRD (Functional Requirement Document), BRD (Business Requirement Document etc.)
- Other Small gaps like brushing up your communication social skills etc.
You have asked right the ways are more than one
- Acquire skills expected from an IT Business Analyst . For a laundry list of BA Skills you can visit this webpage Business Analyst Certification Syllabus
- Prepare a good CV in alignment with the Business Analyst Role.
- Internal Job Posting - Ask your current employer to consider you for a Business Analyst Role. Be prepared to demonstrate why they should do so
- Apply outside of your current company for the Business Analyst Position and be prepared to demonstrate to them your Business Analyst skills. Today companies in addition to a formal interview give case studies to complete. Also you should highlight any BA activities you undertook while you were working as a software tester.
I have put up this question and answer here for benefit of Business Analyst Course seekers in Noida, NCR-Delhi